Parking and Tailgating Policy
Franklin & Marshall College
- Parking is permitted only in designated spaces. Parking on islands, medians or berms is not permitted. Parking remains subject to all College parking rules and regulations.
- Parking on grass is not permitted except in designated areas and as directed by parking attendants and special-events staff.
- Parking spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be saved.
- Parking areas must be cleared two (2) hours after the conclusion of an event..
- The Department of Public Safety and Lancaster Bureau of Police will monitor parking areas for compliance with this policy and City ordinances.
Motor Homes/Campers (RVs):
- All recreational vehicles (RVs) must preregister with the Office of Public Safety at (717) 291-3939 prior to arrival and may park only in assigned locations.
- RVs may enter campus five hours prior to a scheduled event.
- RV spaces must be vacated two (2) hours after the conclusion of the event.
- The Department of Public Safety will monitor compliance.
The College allows tailgating without alcohol in College-owned parking areas. Spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be saved.
- Tailgating activity cannot obstruct the flow of traffic and must comply with all College regulations. Tailgating that uses or infringes on an additional adjacent parking space is not permitted.
- Only small, weighted tents may be erected in tailgating/parking lot areas. Larger tents that require staking must be rented and erected under the supervision of F&M facilities staff. Those using larger tents must notify the associate athletic director at least five (5) days prior to the event. Call (717) 358-4406 for information.
- Waste food items and trash, including charcoal, must be disposed of in appropriate containers, which are provided throughout the grounds.
- Any tailgating involving alcohol:
- Requires advance written permission from the Dean of the College at least three (3) days in advance of the event. The request must state how many people will be attending and if minors will be present.
- Is restricted to a designated area by the College.
- Requires all consumption of alcohol to be limited to the designated area.
- Requires all attendees aged 21 or older to wear a wristband issued by the College.
- Requires responsible consumption of alcohol. Kegs, party balls and large quantities of alcohol are not allowed.
- Requires that alcohol consumption begin no earlier than three (3) hours prior to the start of the event and end no later than one (1) hour after the start of the event.
- Requires that approved alcohol consumption shall only be permitted in accordance with College policy and all State laws.
- College-Approved, Closed Invitation Tailgates: These are events that are restricted to "an invited guests only" such as Alumni-Office-sponsored tailgates, F&M Football alumni tailgates, and corporate sponsor tailgates. Major requirements include but are not limited to: the event must be approved by and registered with the Office of the Dean of the College; signs about the legal age for consumption must be posted; alcohol must be dispensed by a trained, professional bartender—not an undergraduate; and alcoholic beverages must not be served to anyone intoxicated or under 21.
- College Open-Invitation Scheduled Events: These are College-sponsored events that are open to the entire College community and, frequently, to non-college personnel as well. Such College-sponsored events must be alcohol free, without exception.
- Any violation of tailgating regulations may result in immediate termination of tailgating privileges and criminal prosecution or disciplinary action through the Office of Public Safety, the Office of the Dean of the College or local law enforcement agencies.
- The College, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to cancel or end a tailgating event without notice should circumstances warrant.