Diplomats Fall in First Round to Swarthmore
SWARTHMORE, Pa. – In the first round of the Centennial Conference (CC) Men's Tennis Championships, Swarthmore swept Franklin & Marshall 5-0 and the Garnet will advance to play Johns Hopkins in the title match Sunday. The Diplomats' season comes to a close at 10-9, 6-4 CC , while Swarthmore improved to 10-9, 8-1 CC.
The Garnet opened up a 3-0 lead in the match by sweeping doubles action. The duo of Peter Bookman and Ross Silverberg were edged 8-6 by Stephen Youngblood and Zak Kelm in a close match in the number one spot.
The number two team of Doug Silverstein and James Tunner fell to Maxwell Bressman and Mark Wee by a score of 8-1. In the number three spot, Eric Rouff and Cameron Relic were defeated 8-5 by Malikm Mubeen and James Wieler.
Swarthmore earned two more wins in singles to take a 5-0 lead, which eventually decided the match and put a halt to the other singles contests. Silverstein fell to Kelm in number two singles 6-2, 6-4. Bookman dropped a 6-2, 6-2 match to Wieler as the Garnet earned the victory.
Franklin & Marshall vs. Swarthmore
May 1, 2010 at Swarthmore, Pa.
Swarthmore 5, Franklin & Marshall 0
1. Stephen Youngblood (SWATMTN) vs. Ross Silverberg (F&M) 5-4, unfinished
2. Zak Kelm (SWATMTN) def. Doug Silverstein (F&M) 6-2, 6-4
3. Mark Wee (SWATMTN) vs. Cameron Relic (F&M) 6-1, 3-0, unfinished
4. Maxwell Bressman (SWATMTN) vs. Eric Rouff (F&M) 6-1, 3-0, unfinished
5. Malikm Mubeen (SWATMTN) vs. James Tunner (F&M) 4-6, 2-2, unfinished
6. James Wieler (SWATMTN) def. Peter Bookman (F&M) 6-2, 6-2
1. Stephen Youngblood/Zak Kelm (SWATMTN) def. Peter Bookman/Ross Silverberg (F&M) 8-6
2. Maxwell Bressman/Mark Wee (SWATMTN) def. Doug Silverstein/James Tunner (F&M) 8-1
3. Malikm Mubeen/James Wieler (SWATMTN) def. Eric Rouff/Cameron Relic (F&M) 8-5
Franklin & Marshall 9-7
Centennial Conference Semifinals