Diplomats Blank Ursinus
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – Competing in its first road match since spring break, Franklin & Marshall handed Ursinus a 9-0 sweep Wednesday afternoon in Centennial Conference (CC) men’s tennis action. The Diplomats improved to 6-4, 2-0 CC, while the Bears fell to 4-6, 0-3 CC.
Impressively, four of the six Diplomat singles competitors blanked their opponents in at least one set. Armen Vartan defeated Bennett MacLaughlin by scores of 6-3, 6-0. Ross Silverberg overpowered Kevin Dean 6-0, 6-1, and Doug Silverstein earned a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Chris Wyshock.
Cameron Relic defeated Sean Kelley 6-3, 6-2, and Eric Rouff beat Josh Hollaman by scores of 6-2, 6-4. James Tunner handed Kyle Davis a 6-0, 6-1 defeat.
In doubles action, Vartan and Relic teamed up to defeat MacLaughlin and Kelley 8-3. The scores kept getting better, as Silverberg and Peter Bookman beat Wyshock and Dean 8-2, and Silverstein and Tunner earned an 8-1 win over Jason Zerbe and Hollaman.
F&M returns to its home court on Saturday, Apr. 3 with a match against Washington (Md.) slated for 1 p.m.
Franklin & Marshall 9, Ursinus 0
Mar. 31, 2010 at Collegeville, Pa.
1. Armen Vartan (F&M) def. Bennett MacLaughlin (UC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Ross Silverberg (F&M) def. Kevin Dean (UC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Doug Silverstein (F&M) def. Chris Wyshock (UC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Cameron Relic (F&M) def. Sean Kelley (UC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Eric Rouff (F&M) def. Josh Hollaman (UC) 6-2, 6-4
6. James Tunner (F&M) def. Kyle Davis (UC) 6-0, 6-1
1. Armen Vartan/Cameron Relic (F&M) def. Bennett MacLaughlin/Sean Kelley (UC) 8-3
2. Ross Silverberg/Peter Bookman (F&M) def. Chris Wyshock/Kevin Dean (UC) 8-2
3. Doug Silverstein/James Tunner (F&M) def. Jason Zerbe/Josh Hollaman (UC) 8-1
Franklin & Marshall 5-3, 2-0 CC
Ursinus College 4-6, 0-3 CC