CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Franklin & Marshall downed Washington College 5-1 on Wednesday evening in the first round of the Centennial Conference (CC) Men's Tennis Tournament, avenging a tough 5-4 defeat four days ago and advancing to Saturday's CC Semifinals. The Diplomats improved to 7-9 with the win, while the Shoremen ended their season at 12-6.
By the Numbers
As with Saturday's match between F&M and Washington, the Diplomats took an early 2-1 lead after doubles play. Inigo Flores and Jack Rothman got the scoring started at No. 1, winning 8-5, while Will Samuels and Zack Levin also recorded an 8-5 win at No. 2.
The Shoremen won four of the first five singles matches to turn the tide on Saturday, but F&M reversed the script on Wednesday by taking the first three singles matches to complete the 5-1 win. Flores raced to a 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 4, followed by a 6-2, 6-3 win for Samuels at No. 5. Isaac Salas clinched the Diplomat victory with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 2, leaving the matches at No. 1, No. 3, and No. 6 unfinished.
1. Chris Salisbury (WC) vs. Jack Rothman (FMCM) 6-2, 3-4, unfinished
2. Isaac Salas (FMCM) def. Jake Sandler (WC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Luke Weaver (WC) vs. Zack Levin (FMCM) 3-6, 2-4, unfinished
4. Inigo Flores (FMCM) def. Zachary Novick (WC) 6-0, 6-3
5. Will Samuels (FMCM) def. Jeremy Novick (WC) 6-2, 6-3
6. August Meriot (WC) vs. Andrew Pace (FMCM) 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1,2,3; Singles: 4,5,2
The Diplomats travel to Baltimore on Saturday to take on top-seeded Johns Hopkins at 11:00 a.m. in the CC semifinals.