PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Brett Kulp led a group of Franklin & Marshall wrestlers to a fifth-place finish in the 141-pound bracket at Penn's annual Keystone Classic tournament. The Diplomats finished 10th out of 12 teams at the event with 27 points and in front of VMI and Sacred Heart.
To view complete results from Sunday, click here.
Kulp, who went 5-2 at the tournament, rebounded from an opening-match defeat with a pair of dominant performances in the wrestle backs, earning 17-3 and 12-1 major decisions.
He followed with a 15-0 tech fall over teammate Chris Martorello to advance to the consolation round of four. An early first-period takedown keyed a 4-1 win over Drexel's Julian Flores to reach the consolation semifinals, where the Diplomats' 141-pounder lost a narrow 5-4 decision on riding time to Harvard's A.J. Jaffe.
Additional highlights from Sunday are below:
- Freshman Wil Gil found success in the 133-pounds bracket, bouncing back from a narrow 4-3 loss in his opener with a pin over teammate Dan Martoccio at 2:40 in the first period. He followed with his second-straight fall, taking down Appalachian State's Codi Russell with 32 seconds left in the second frame to earn the pin at 4:29.
- Martoccio got off to a strong start in the championship bracket with an early first-period pin (0:32) over Penn.'s Thomas DiGiovanni, before dropping his next two bouts.
- Martorello downed VMI's John Red with a 5-3 decision in his first match of the day but came up short in his next two bouts.
- Emmett LiCastri secured a win in the 157-pound consolation bracket with a pin at 1:50 over Sacred Heart's Adrian Nelson.
- Jacob Conners strung together a pair of victories in the wrestle backs with a 4-3 decision over Duke's Garrett Neff before notching a pair of takedowns and four nearfall points in an 8-2 decision over Harvard's Peter Bearse.
- Dylan Gumaer also registered a victory on Sunday, earning a pin at 5:24 over Penn's A.J. Geers. Gumaer was leading the high-scoring contest by a 14-10 score at the time of the fall.
- Philip Robilotto downed Duke's Luke Farinaro with an 8-2 decision in the consolations, picking up three takedowns in the match.
- Antonio Pelusi got off to an impressive start in the 285-pound championship bracket with a pair of decision wins, including a 3-1 victory over Drexel's Sean O'Malley to reach the quarterfinals.
• The Diplomats' junior grappler battled Northwestern's Conan Jennings in his next match, taking the nation's No. 10 ranked 285-pounder to overtime thanks to a first-period takedown. However, Pelusi was pinned in the second tiebreaker (8:52).
• In the wrestle backs, Pelusi saw his run come to an end with a hard-fought 3-1 loss against Penn.'s Patrik Garren. Pelusi took Garren to sudden victory but surrendered a takedown with 38 seconds remaining in period four.
F&M returns to dual competition on Saturday, Dec. 2, traveling to VMI for a 4:00 p.m. competition.