NEW YORK, N.Y. – Antonio Pelusi led Franklin & Marshall at day one of the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA) Championships with a 2-1 showing. As one of just eight competitors remaining in the 285-pound bracket, Pelusi, ranked No.31 in the nation, guaranteed himself his second-career placement at the tournament.
To view day one brackets, click here.
Tomorrow, Pelusi faces the bracket's No. 7 seed Christian Araneo of Princeton for a place in the Consolation Semifinals. Action begins at 10:00 a.m. Live brackets can be followed here. Video is available for purchase through FloWrestling.
Pelusi dominated in his opening matchup, landing a pin just 1:50 into the first period against Bucknell's Brandon Stokes. In his next match, Pelusi dropped a hard-fought 5-2 decision to No. 14 ranked Garrett Ryan of Columbia. Pelusi suffered a first-period takedown but battled back to tie the contest with a pair of escapes. However, Ryan held on after earning an early third-period escape and securing a takedown in the final seconds.
In his next Consolation match, Pelusi made short work of Sacred Heart's John Hartnett, registering six takedowns en route to a 20-6 bashing.
The 2016 NCAA Qualifier can still finish as high as third heading into tomorrow's final day of competition and needs a top-five finish to secure one of the weight classes' automatic bids into the NCAA Tournament.
125 Pounds – Edgar Garcia (0-2)
- L – 14-1 Major - Joe Nelson (Binghamton)
- L – 7-4 Decision - Ryan Burns (Sacred Heart)
133 Pounds – Dan Martoccio (0-2)
- L – Fall (1:37) – Austin Desanto (Drexel)
- L – Fall (1:39) – Jacob Nicholson (Binghamton)
141 Pounds – No. 10 Seed - Brett Kulp (1-2)
- L – 4-1 Decision – Kizhan Clarke (American)
- W – Fall (4:09) – Carl Antrassian (Penn)
- Kulp entered the second period trailing by a 2-0 score before turning his opponent at the 4:09 mark.
- L – 6-3 Decision – Pat D'Arcy (Princeton)
- Down by a 2-1 score after the first period, Kulp rode out D'Arcy the entire length of the second frame. An early escape in the third tied the match at 3-3 for Kulp, however, D'Arcy earned a pair of final minute takedowns to seal the match.
149 Pounds – Wil Gil (0-2)
- L – 12-3 Major – Jared Prince (Navy)
- L – 19-9 Major – Alex Harnsberger (Sacred Heart)
157 Pounds – Emmett LiCastri (1-2)
- L – 9-1 Major – Mike D'Angelo (Princeton)
- W – Fall (5:20) – Eric Hong (American)
- LiCastri was leading 3-2 before his takedown at the 1:42 mark led to his third-period pin.
- L – 10-0 Major – Joe Velliquette (Penn)
165 Pounds – Jacob Conners (0-2)
- L – Fall (3:43) – Jon Jay Chavez (Cornell)
- L – Fall (6:34) – D.J. Hollingshead (Bucknell)
174 Pounds – No. 11 Seed Josh Young (1-2)
- L – Fall (5:58) – Ben Harvey (Army)
- W – 4-2 Decision – Matthew Gancayco (Princeton)
- In his opening wrestleback match, Young scored a takedown just 32 seconds into the contest and sealed the victory by registering another takedown with 48 seconds remaining in the third.
- L – 10-0 Major – Tyrel White (Columbia)
184 Pounds – Steven Mercadante (0-2)
- L – 19-4 Tech. Fall – Alex Deciantis (Drexel)
- L – 15-4 Major – Andrew Psomas (Columbia)
197 Pounds – Philip Robilotto (0-2)
- L – Fall (1:10) – Ben Darmstadt (Cornell)
- L – 5-4 Decision – Nezar Haddad (Hofstra)
- Robilotto tied his match at 4-4 with an early third-period takedown but fell by a riding time point to Haddad.
285 Pounds – No. 6 seed Antonio Pelusi (2-1)
- W – Fall (1:50) – Brandon Stokes (Bucknell)
- L – 5-2 Decision - Garrett Ryan (Columbia)
- W – 20-6 Major – John Hartnett (Sacred Heart)