ORLANDO, Fla. – Franklin & Marshall's women's tennis team opened their Florida spring break trip with a dominant 7-2 win against Wisconsin La-Crosse on Sunday, while the Diplomats' match against St. Norbert on Monday was canceled due to rain showers.
F&M now stands at 2-2 on the year after its non-conference victory against UWL.
By the Numbers (Wisconsin-La Crosse)
F&M's victory snapped an eight-match winning streak for the Falcons, who are ranked 15th in the ITA Central region. These teams squared off twice before with UWL holding the 2-0 series edge heading into the match.
Doubles action saw the Diplomats garner a 2-1 edge, including a 9-8 (7-5) thriller at No. 3 for Gavriel Rubenstein and Allysan Breece. A pair of singles contests were decided in the super tiebreaker, both resulting in F&M wins.
The Results (Wisconsin-La Crosse)
1. Allison Wolters (FMCW) def. Bridget Bellissimo (UWL) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Nicole Russo (FMCW) def. Sadie Spahn (UWL) 6-2, 7-5
3. Hayley Clope (UWL) def. Sarah Haas (FMCW) 6-3, 6-3
4. C.J. Rummelsburg (FMCW) def. Maura Andersen (UWL) 6-3, 6-2
5. Gavriel Rubenstein (FMCW) def. Alaina Bublitz (UWL) 6-4, 6-1
6. Alex Collins (FMCW) def. Kim Drangeid (UWL) 6-7 (4-7), 6-2, 1-0 (11-9)
Spring break competition continues for F&M on Tuesday when the Diplomats face Macalester at 10:00 a.m.