Due Dates: July 22, 2019: Football
July 29, 2019: Men's and Women's Cross Country, Field Hockey, Men's and Women's Soccer, Volleyball
August 15, 2019: All Other Varsity Teams
This process requires you to complete the following in order to participate in your particular sport for the upcoming season. It is VITAL that all Fall Varsity Athletic Teams complete this process by the due date as those student-athletes only have 1-2 days prior to the start of the season to be cleared medically. All other varsity programs will have physicals scheduled later which is why the later due date, however, this due date is also important because you will be having your physicals scheduled in late August or early September. You will hear more on your exact physical date and time from your Head Coach later in August.
Sickle Cell Testing: Please click here for more information from the NCAA
The NCAA requires testing of athletes for Sickle Cell Trait prior to being able to compete on an NCAA team. It is HIGHLY recommended your take care of this during the summer. This testing only needs to be completed one time during your four years at F&M. You will be able to get this testing done when you return to campus however it could easily delay your ability to start with your team on time while you wait for the results. Also, testing may have already been done and easily requested from your primary care physician. You can waiver out of the testing and that form will be available during your physical process however the NCAA then requires you review some educational information pertaining to Sickle Cell Trait and why it is recommended you know your results. Results may be mailed to:Franklin & Marshall College Student Wellness Center 931 Harrisburg Ave. Lancaster, PA 17604 Fax: (717) 735-9234
II. Please Read the Following PDF files prior to moving on as the medical history forms have questions pertaining to these files:
III. READ THIS CLOSELY! = To complete the medical history update, ATS does NOT WORK WELL WITH SAFARI, please do not use Safari to complete this process. The system works best with Internet Explorer but we have had success with Firefox and Chrome. If you have any issues, please contact someone from the sports medicine staff. The system is working fine but you may have things preventing it from functioning perfectly on your own web browser.
To get started, you must visit here.
1. Please use "new" for your ID and "new" for your password.
2. Fill out the information on the first tab in the system labeled "General". Select your sport(s), enter name, etc. You do not need to enter your Driver # or Passport #. You MUST select an ID and Password at this time. It is best to use your fandm.edu email address in case you need to retrieve your ID or password at a later time. Also, please update the lower sections labeled: Medical Alerts (serious medical conditions and number of concussions including the most recent one), Allergies, and Current Medications. At the bottom click the “Save Athlete Information” button.
3. You are now on the Athlete Information page. The first tab is "General", this is the information you just entered, please make sure it is correct and make changes if necessary. Hit "Save" if you made changes.
4. Please click the "Insurance" tab. Click the "Add" Button. Enter your information and click the "Save" button. If your insurance company is not listed, please use the "Add an Insurance Company" button at the bottom of the section. Please fill as much information out as possible (eg. ID number, Policy number, Policy Holder, etc).
5. Please click the "Contacts" tab. This information is the person (or people) you would like contacted in the event something happens and you cannot contact them yourself. You are NOT allowing us to discuss or contact them for every injury/issue that might occur. Click "Add" and enter the people you wish to add. Hit "Save" after you add each name.
6. Click the tab labeled "Athlete Forms". Click the bar labeled "Form Name" on this tab. Select "New Athlete Health History Form" from the bar. Hit the "New" button next to the bar. After the form loads, answer all of the questions. When you have completed this form, hit "Save".
You may now log out of the ATS system and continue below.
IV. IMPACT Baseline Test (Mandatory for all varsity athletes):
To complete the IMPACT concussion pre-test. The test link can be found here.
If you have a Pop-Up Blocker on, Please turn it off to take this test. The developers of the IMPACT test made it impossible to take if you do not have the Pop-Up Blocker off. It will look like the test isn’t working if you haven’t turned it off.
When it asks for a code, our code is: 6562BDE33E . Please follow the prompts and complete the test. The test takes about 15-20 minutes to complete. YOU MUST USE AN EXTERNAL MOUSE AS THEY DESCRIBE, OTHERWISE YOU COULD FAIL YOUR TEST AND NEED TO RETAKE IT. We have had several people fail for this reason so please use an external mouse from the beginning as you will need to pass this prior to getting a sport physical on campus.
V. Baseline Biodex Balance Testing (Mandatory for all varsity athletes):
The Biodex Balance System SD is a piece of equipment that was acquired in 2014. We use it to help in our return to play evaluation following a concussion. Baseline testing is needed prior to participation in practice or competition. This will be set up through your Head Coach at a later date, prior to your first day of practice. The test takes approximately 5 minutes to complete.
VI. Other Items to Consider:
1. If you have had a recent surgery (last 2-3 years), a recent medical change or illness, or something significant occur over the summer, please bring medical documentation of your injury or illness with you. It is a very important part of the process to be cleared. Paperwork to consider: Xray/MRI/CAT Scan reports, Office Visit Notes, Surgical Notes/Clearances, and Blood Work. All paperwork can be mailed early if able:Franklin & Marshall College Department of Sports Medicine PO Box 3003 Lancaster, PA 17604
2. ADHD Medical Documentation – If you are taking these medications, the NCAA does not allow you to do so while competing without documentation. The NCAA requires ANNUAL clinical reviews and as such, you must provide documentation of these visits. It is highly recommended you bring this paperwork with you annually. Failure to complete this process could lead to a failed drug test with no ability to succeed in appealing your results to the NCAA.
Please have your physician complete this form by clicking here and bring it with you to your physical.
Please contact the Franklin & Marshall College Sports Medicine Department at 717-358-4111 if you have any questions or problems.
You are ready to be scheduled for a sport physical for your season. We will schedule your team through your Head Coach and they will be in contact with you at a later date.