Diplomacy Doesn't Wash in D.C.

Diplomacy Doesn't Wash in D.C.

Box Score

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Keith Ricca's 63-yard touchdown pass to Miles Sabrick was the difference as Catholic defeated Franklin & Marshall 14-7. Sabrick's 63-yard catch and run through several Diplomat (1-1) defenders gave the Cardinals (2-0) the lead for good early in the fourth quarter.

Ricca completed 13 passes for 154 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Cardinals to the win. He hit Andrew Buis four times for 27 yards and Sabrick three times. Sabrick's only gain of the day was the touchdown.

Catholic jumped out to a 7-0 lead late in the first quarter when Ricca found Ryan McManus from 20-yards out. That was answered by John Harrison's seven-yard touchdown toss to George Eager. Eager's touchdown was set up by a 44-yard pass to Michael Deutch.

The Diplomats had two deep forays into Catholic territory end without points. Paul Sousa recovered his own onsides kick following Eager's score, but the drive stalled out on the Catholic 15-yardline. Sousa's field goal sailed wide to the left - the first of two field goals he missed in that direction. A third quarter attempt from 35-yards also went wide left.

Harrison was solid, particularly between the 20-yardlines, completing 20 of 34 passes for 216 yards. He was badgered by Catholic defenders throughout the game being sacked four times for losses of 35 yards. He had F&M moving inside of two minutes, but Achille Kolla stepped in front of a pass intended for Jarrell Diggs essentially ending F&M's afternoon.

The Diplomats had a final possession from their own 28-yardline with less than a minute and no timeouts.  

F&M's defense was led by Zach Romash's 12 tackles. Jeff Kellar recorded eight tackles and an interception while James Gregory recorded eight tackles and a sack.   

Franklin & Marshall returns to action Friday night at Dickinson College. The annual battle for the Conestoga Wagon trophy will mark the 100th meeting of the teams, Dickinson's 1,000th game, and the first game under the lights at Biddle Field in Red Devils' history.