Dickinson Drops Diplomats in Offensive Slugfest

Sept. 14, 2007

Box Score

LANCASTER, Pa. - Dickinson Quarterback Ian Mitchell was responsible for three touchdowns and 324 yards of total offense in leading Dickinson to a 28-21 win over Franklin & Marshall. The win leaves the Conestoga Wagon Trophy in the Red Devils (3-0, 1-0 CC) hands for the fourth-straight year.

Mitchell's night started with a 54-yard strike to Chris McInerney on the first play from scrimmage. He finished the evening with 177 yards through the air, having completed 16 of 21 passes. He tossed his second touchdown pass four minutes and 13 seconds later, a 46-yard strike to Pat O'Conner.

His 19-yard rush in the closing minute of the first half gave Dickinson a 28-14 lead going into the locker room, and proved to be the decisive score.

His counterpart, Kyle Turner set a new Franklin & Marshall record for passes completed, clicking on 34 of his 55 attempts (tying the F&M mark for attempts). Turner rolled up 328 passing yards and three touchdowns, with George Eager on the receiving end of two of them. Eager finished the game with 15 receptions, one short of Justin Salton's school record, and 125 yards.

Eager's first score of the night came a little more than two minutes after Dickinson's opening shot. His 17-yard touchdown capped a nine-play 67-yard drive. His second of the night was the only touchdown of the second half, making it a 28-21 Dickinson game with 10:11 left in regulation.

Eager was one of two Diplomats to top the 100-yard plateau on Friday. Paul Sousa pulled down seven passes for 110 yards. Lorenzo Daughtry-Chambers caught six passes for 44 yards. Matt Jenschke's lone reception of the evening was a two-yard touchdown in the second quarter.

The Diplomats had two more possessions, and drove as far as Dickinson's 39-yardline on their final possession, but could not manage a first down on either third-and-two or fourth-and-two from that spot. Dickinson took over on downs, and on the ensuing drive faced a third-and-ten from the 50. That's when Mitchell broke free for 26 yards, effectively ending the Diplomats evening. The teams piled up 848 yards of total offense in the game.

Dickinson's Eric Dube led all tacklers with 15 stops. He recovered a fumble and broke up a pass as well. Michael Maxwell recorded nine tackles a pair of interceptions and broke up another pass for the Red Devils.

Andrew Rocks and Mickey Rehring each recorded 10 tackles for F&M. Rocks had 2.5 stops for losses of seven yards, including a six-yard sack. Zach Romash and John Weber each had nine tackles. Romash recorded a sack, and Weber picked up a fumble.

Franklin & Marshall returns to action next Saturday when the Diplomats face Centennial newcomer, Juniata.