Scott, Diplomats Sneak Past BullDogs

Scott, Diplomats Sneak Past BullDogs

LANCASTER, Pa. – Chris Scott's goal in the 83rd minute broke a scoreless tie and delivered the No. 7 Franklin & Marshall men's soccer team a dramatic 1-0 victory on Wednesday afternoon in non-conference action. The Diplomats improved to 11-0-1 with the win, while the Bulldogs fell to 5-7-1.

F&M was in the driver's seat throughout the opening 80 minutes of the contest but was unable to capitalize on any of its scoring chances, while the Diplomats staunch defense was in command from the onset. 

With just seven minutes left in regulation, a Dave Martin header was turned away to the right side of the field by DeSales' goalkeeper but remained in play. Ben Wild was there to put his foot on the top of the ball and sneak a pass behind him to a waiting Scott in the middle of the box.

F&M's senior defender then fired a shot just feet from the front of the goal that slammed into the back of the net for the eventual game-winner. The score was Scott's first of the season and fourth of his career. 

The Bulldogs put pressure on the Diplomats' defense late in the second frame, but sailed a shot wide to the left in the 87th minute as F&M held on for the victory. 

Early in the second half an F&M corner led to a scramble in the box that Max Watson tapped into the goal, but the score was waived off for an offside call.

The Diplomats completely dominated the shot count at 28-4, including an 11-0 margin in the opening stanza. Janse Schermerhorn led the way with four, followed by Jared Bomba, Sam Lane, Chase TenBrook, Conor Pellas and Scott with three apiece. 

Trevor Britton (11-0-1) secured his conference-leading eighth shutout of the season after stopping both shots he faced on the afternoon. His counterpart Colin Supizio (5-7-1) suffered the loss despite a strong effort in net, picking up nine saves. 

F&M returns to Centennial Conference (CC) action on Saturday when the Diplomats travel to face off against McDaniel at 3:00 p.m.