TenBrook’s 2OT Tally Lifts No. 3 F&M

TenBrook’s 2OT Tally Lifts No. 3 F&M

STEVENSON, Md. – Chase TenBrook's right-footed strike in the 102nd minute gave the No. 3 Franklin & Marshall men's soccer team a thrilling 1-0 2OT win against Stevenson on Tuesday evening. The non-conference tilt brought the Diplomats to 8-0 on the year, while the Mustangs dropped to 3-5-1 with the heartbreaking defeat. 

Only two minutes into the second overtime period, Janse Schermerhorn collected the ball on the right side and flicked a pass to TenBrook in the middle. The senior forward played the volley off his chest from 15 yards out and sent a rocket on net that found its way into the bottom right of the goal. 

Scoring chances were plentiful for F&M throughout the evening, especially with time ticking down in regulation, when a flurry of opportunities from the Diplomats looked to end the contest. 

With seven minutes remaining in the second half, Schermerhorn played a short pass to TenBrook from 10 years out, but a diving stop by the Mustangs' goalkeeper Michael Tringail (1-2) kept it scoreless. Stevenson countered with a chance a minute later, however F&M's goalkeeper Trevor Britton (8-0) displayed his own brilliance in net by getting his left hand on a wide open Stevenson look out in front.

Each team traded attempts on net in the wild final minutes of regulation, but strong defensive plays in the box from Connor Finn and Wyatt Fabian in the closing minutes sent the matchup into overtime. 

The Mustangs opened the extra stanza with a rush on goal down the left side, when a pair of Stevenson attackers played a game of give-and-go along the touchline. The rush resulted in a foul called on the Diplomats from six yards out and a penalty kick opportunity for the Mustangs just a minute into the start of the frame. 

Reid Hawkins of Stevenson aimed for the left side, but slammed the ball off the post, just past the outstretched arms of Britton, who guessed correctly on the attempt. F&M quickly regained momentum and held possession through the remainder of the first overtime period, before carrying the energy over to the second frame. 

Both goalkeepers were spectacular in net with Britton getting the upper hand after stopping all three shots he faced for the fifth shutout of his senior campaign. Tringali did all he could for the Mustangs, turning back an impressive 11 shots through 102 minutes of play. 

Shots belonged to F&M by a 24-7 margin, including a 15-3 edge in the second half, while corners were tied at 5-5. 

The Diplomats return to CC competition on Saturday, traveling to Washington for a 7:00 p.m. start.